Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Inch By Inch




Do you ever experience a reflective mood? A state in which your mind floods with thoughts, ideas, and memories, of all those vicissitudes of which our lives are composed? Today is a reflective day for me and I feel compelled to share those reflections with my readers.

The subject of my reflection is a long-term friend & colleague. A man whom I admire and from whom I have learned a great deal.  Indeed, my life is richer because I have known and had the opportunity to work with him in a variety of capacities over the years.  As I sit here letting my mind do its thing, I realize that this span of time is now more than 50 years. I used to think that those sharing friendships that long had to be quite old, but my perspective has shifted a bit on that particular issue.

This friend, let’s call him Tom, was born and raised in Milton. He grew up on a farm a bit to the north east of town. He was blessed to have several siblings and the undeniable advantage of being surrounded by a loving family steeped in strong values of hard work, responsibility, accomplishment, and love. He learned early-on that life was not centered on himself but on the greater community.  He absorbed that lesson well and let it guide the way he lived.  Tom embodies these words of Helice Bridges, “I am not here to make a living. I am here to make a difference.”

Not only a Milton native, Tom remained a local, graduating from both Milton Union High School and from Milton College.  He taught school briefly before joining General Motors in Janesville where he spent 32 years. The last 20 of those 32 he served as Administrator of the Rick Holte Education Center.  Tom was also busy paying his civic rent by serving for 19 years on the Blackhawk Technical College Board of Directors as well as a variety of leadership roles at St. Mary Parish here in Milton. I think you can begin to see his draw to education and his life focus of giving back.

I knew Tom in high school but not well. I was a transplant from the East Coast when 16 so I am not a native, but I strongly identify as a local. My wife, Sue, is a Milton native and knew Tom pretty much all through school. We saw Tom and his family from time to time over the years, so I was acquainted with his activities.

In 2010 I was working on establishing the Milton Area Youth Center so was looking for Board members.  I reached out to Tom. As I explained the plans for MAYC, I saw his eyes light up and I knew he was all-in.  I was so pleased to have his experience and his passion. You see, that’s Tom. When he agrees to participate, he is always all-in. He gives himself fully to the programs and organizations in which he believes. MAYC was no exception and its motto, Building Lives, Building Community resonated with Tom and fit him so well.

I began to serve on the School Board in 2008. Tom was elected to the Board in 2011. Once again, I was pleased to be officially working and collaborating with a person of Tom’s character. He was consistently prepared, asked great questions, and fulfilled his responsibilities in an admirable manner. He broke the mold on how to be an effective board building rep. in his assignment at Milton East. The School District’s motto is – Opportunity, Achievement, Community. Tom continues to mirror this in his life. After 9 years of service to the School District of Milton and our kids, last night was Tom’s final School Board meeting.  This makes me sad and is the cause of my reflection today.

Tom’s approach to life reminds me of a great old folk song written by David Mallett and covered by many artists. I prefer Peter, Paul & Mary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHhRyjwYnX0). The words go like this, Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow. All it takes is a rake and a hoe and a piece of fertile ground. Inch by inch, row by row, someone bless these seeds I sow. Someone warm them from below till the rain comes tumbling down. Plant your rows straight and long, temper them with prayer and song. Mother earth will keep you strong if you give her love and care.” Perhaps that is Tom’s secret from the farm and his family because he plants the rows of his life straight & long. He does temper them with prayer and song as he gives his community love and care.

Tom, you believe in something bigger than yourself. You exhibit no ambiguity when it comes to the question of – does the community owe us or do we owe the community? You always stated that it is about the kids. This is who you are.  Your remarkable record of service is because you made a choice, a conscious decision to step up, to serve, to create a preferred future for those coming behind. What a record! What a legacy! What a sower of positive seeds!

Thank you, Tom, for your service, your time, your dedication, and for showing us the way. Let me leave you with these words from Jim Will, “As individuals, everything we do affects our organizations, our community’s culture. We have no choice whether or not we leave our mark. Our only choice is what type of mark we will leave.”  When it comes to community service, you are a positive Outlier when compared with the general population.

TOM WESTRICK, I am proud to be associated with you!  After all, Kids Matter

#cruzan4milton#WAM










No comments:

Post a Comment