Saturday, February 18, 2017

Our Kids Say It Best

Yesterday’s phenomenal February weather provided the opportunity for me to hit the bike trail for a 20 mile pedal. For me, biking is a time to release my mind and just muse and reflect. This serves as a reboot for me and allows me to gain perspective.

On this ride, my thoughts went to Milton students. A couple of weeks ago I met with several high school kids. I posed some open ended questions to them and just listened to their responses. These questions have no right or wrong answers. They simply elicit thoughts and responses – not unlike a writing prompt. I was struck by their responses to the extent that I feel compelled to share them with my readers.

To the question, “If you could take out a full-page ad in the New York Times, and you had only three words or three concepts to describe MHS to the world, what would be your three words?” I heard:

Technologically advanced.
High student involvement.
Our foundation.
Our fellowship.
Great experience.
Many opportunities.
Great education.
We attract students from other districts.

To the question, “What is the best part of being a student at Milton High School?” I heard:

Laptops.
Great opportunities.
A sense of community.
I feel safe here.
There are ways for me to better myself like clubs and activities.
Great teacher relationships.
Great teachers.
Teachers – they’re great. They take time to make sure I am learning.

To the question, “Who or what has influenced you the most in regard to your high school experience?” I heard:

My parents. I rather expected to hear this and was relieved that I did.

But I also heard, and this is the kicker -

My teachers & administrators – they are positive role models.
My teachers have made it a place I want to be.

Are you seeing a theme here? GREAT TEACHER RELATIONSHIPS, GREAT TEACHERS, TEACHERS – THEY’RE GREAT. THEY TAKE TIME TO MAKE SURE I AM LEARNING, MY TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS ARE POSITIVE ROLE MODELS, MY TEACHERS HAVE MADE MHS A PLACE I WANT TO BE.

WOW! I am so impressed and grateful for our outstanding staff members. I am proud and you should be also.

So, is it any wonder why the School District of Milton is growing? According to the State DPI third Friday count in January we are up 13 students since September and 53 students from a year ago. We have something that others want.

Opportunity, Achievement, Community – the kids say it best!

Jon Cruzan
President, School District of Milton – Board of Education


1 comment:

  1. Many years ago my daughter was asked by her professor to stay after class so he could talk to her. She was a political science major at SMU in Dallas. She nervously approached him and he asked her if she had taken AP History in High School. She told him she had. His response was "well, I want you to know that you had an excellent teacher!". Who was that teacher? Don Vruwink. Milton has a history of providing our students with top notch teachers who are making an impact in the lives of our students and on the future of our country. Thank you, Milton teachers, for making a difference.

    Kathy Crandall

    ReplyDelete